images www.cocokelley.com

Thursday 4 October 2012

Grandeliers - Finally some unique and stunning self installed lighting options


Grandeliers

My recent visit to the Grand Designs Live Melbourne Exhibition was a great opportunity to hunt down some new and unique Interior Design Products for Life and Style on a Dime readers. I have come up with a short list of my 8 favourite exhibitors, so keep an eye on more coming soon.


Grandelier Lace Pendant Light
Grandelier Lace Pendant Light



Grandelier 1803 Series Hoop light
Grandelier 1803 Series
Hoop Lights


Grandeliers! These stunning light fittings stopped me in my tracks when I saw them. Finally some truly original, organic looking, earthy light fittings.
 
 
Then I discovered they come in a flat pack, can be installed yourself, are designed and made in Australia and are made from locally sourced veneers from accredited and sustainably grown timber. 'Grandeliers' by Tasmanian designer, Loz Abberton, was also recently awarded the coveted 'Prix des Découvertes' ('The Discovery Award') at Europe's largest home fashion trade show Maison et Objet . 
 
 

Grandelier Seed Series light
Grandelier Seed Series
Anyone that has recently been on the hunt for light fittings as part of a new build, renovation or home makeover will know that here in Australia, the range of options is somewhat limited unless you are shopping in the very high end stores. While the range is starting to grow in Oz, products in an affordable price range are somewhat repetitive. All the stores seem to have very similar ranges. So it was refreshing to see something unique, with a price range that made them available to both your Luxury buyer and 'On a Dime' shoppers. The range is between $290 - $590. They are despatched with a choice of black or white electrical components for a qualified electrician to install. However the bonus is that if you have an existing batten point you can use a do-it-yourself pendant cord set from a hardware store like Bunnings or Kmart approx. $16 (this will convert your batten light into a hanging pendant light) and you won’t ever have anyone say " Oh I have the same chandelier" or "I saw that in the Beacon catalogue" (no offence Beacon, I shop with you too).
 
 
Grandelier Bloom Light
Grandelier Bloom Light

One of the reasons I love this range is that these designs would look as good in a modern contemporary home as they would in a more traditional style home.  
 
Grandeliers seed series drop
Grandeliers seed series drop

  

Grandelier BLOOM lantern
Grandelier BLOOM Lantern
But what really appeals to me is that because I'm a bit of a lighting commitment phobe, my house is filled with lamps that are used at night rather than overhead lighting. Why? Because I can move them, change them, put new shades on them. The idea of shopping for a chandelier, making a commitment to it and having it installed by an electrician fills me with fear....silly I know, but it took me 7 years to finally install all the light fittings in each room of my last home. For this very reason even now I am constantly moving the furniture around and thinking 'Now the dining table is not under the light, just as well I didn’t spend a fortune on a chandelier'.


Grandlier Seed Series
Grandlier Seed Series

I love the idea that you could install these in say your kitchen meals area, then if you wanted a change you could shift it to your dining room.
Grandelier Genies Series Light

Be sure to visit Loz's website 'Who Did That' to see her full range of products. I know you will love them as much as I do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment